Passa ai contenuti principali

Where I have been and thoughts about travels


Versione italiana  Version française

Here I am again after some months of absence. It was not because I had nothing to write or will of taking care of the blog, I just had not the possibility to dedicate myself to it because I was travelling. More precisely I have been in Germany. I have not simply travelled, but I have lived for two long months as, so to speak, an "expat". Yes, for the first time in my life I have tried what living, studying and working in a place that is not my own means. But let's go in order.




I left at the end of June for Heidelberg with the intent to attempt a language course to improve my German. I have always had some little problems with German, especially in oral production, so, after my graduation, being still idle, I thought: "Why don't you make good use of this period of inactivity to make an experience abroad and, meanwhile, to improve your German? What's a better opportunity?" So, full of enthusiasm and not little fear, I packed and left. At the beginning I had to stay in this town just for a month. I did not imagine that I would extend my stay until the end of August, even finding a little seasonal job in one of the most tourist place in Germany.

Now that I am back, everyone ask me, full of expectation, how this experience has been. Do you want to know a thing? After a first period, in which everything is beautiful and new, you get used and look at things in an objective way. I am not saying that is has been nothing particular: on the contrary! It has been a formative experience, overall on the human level, one of those make you open your eyes and realize that beyond boundaries, apart from cultural differences, we are all the same.  To be clear, in my class I met people from Syria, Spain, Japan, Brazil, Ecuador, even Taiwan and everyone wished the same things, complained about the same things, dreamt of the same things. Speaking with them, I found confirm of what I have always thought: human being is the same everywhere. We can have different cultural backgrounds, we can name things in different ways, we gesticulate in different ways, but deep down we share the same fears, the same dreams, the same expectations. Those who travel are in a previledge condition, because they have the possibility to experiment what I am trying to say with a certain effort. Obviously, however, it is not enough to book a ticket and spend a week, or less, in a place to realize such a truth. It is fundamental to socialize with people, not considering them in a particular way just because they have another nationality and speak another language, but because they are human beings, who can teach us something. Obviously, this does not happen without our effort: those who travel must be open-minded, they must know that thay cannot judge every single person belonging to a population just considering stereotypes, understanding that if we cannot stand a person, it does not mean that we cannot stand a whole nation.

To sum up, from this experience I have understood that it is ok to love the art, the food, the nature of a place. But just think this: by whom is a place done? Would it be the same thing without the people who live in it? Would it have the same charm, the same history, the same characteristics? I think that we need to understand people to properly discover a place.  They are the real resource of a land, not the contrary. What would the world be without people's memory? Nothing more than a mass of bricks, cement or a natural stretch that, even though beautiful, with the passing of time declines and vanishes. When I left I did not think that I would have realized all that. Sure, I have always known that we must not let us be "hoodwinked" by stereotypes, but a thing is knowing it and another is directly living it. What do you think?
And so, with this so "deep" post, I have updated a little bit about my experiences. Later I will also write some post dedicated to the town I have called for a short period home.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Storie di umanità nei conflitti mondiali: il Museo Civico di Manduria

  Immergiamoci nella storia moderna di Manduria e scopriamo come da una guerra possono nascere storie di collaborazione tra popoli di diversa lingua e cultura. Visitiamo insieme il Museo Civico di Manduria. Ti ho parlato spesso di Manduria in questo blog: ti ho accompagnato per le strade del suo centro storico , ci siamo immersi nella sua storia alla scoperta dei Messapi , abbiamo gustato il suo vino amato nel mondo , ti ho mostrato la bellezza del suo mare e delle sue meraviglie naturali . Oggi torno a parlarti della città del vino Primitivo per guidarti in un altro luogo custode della memoria dei manduriani. Ti porto a scoprire il Museo Civico di Manduria dedicato alla Seconda Guerra Mondiale. Read in English

Le Grotte di Sileno, dove natura, archeologia e sostenibilità si incontrano

  Natura, storia, archeologia, sostenibilità.  È possibile trovarle tutte insieme in un unico posto? Pare proprio di sì e sono in Puglia, a Castellaneta, custodite nello scrigno de Le Grotte di Sileno. Immagina un posto dove riconnetterti con la natura , un luogo dove puoi conoscerla meglio e ricaricarti, circondata da ulivi secolari , vigne e reperti archeologici . Che te ne pare? Vorresti visitare un posto così? Ebbene, ti do una buona notizia: questo luogo esiste e si trova in Puglia , sull’ultimo scalone della Murgia tarantina, a Castellaneta . Ti presento Le Grotte di Sileno .

Visita a Gioia del Colle: un itinerario

Un breve itinerario nel centro storico di Gioia del Colle alla scoperta dei suoi vicoli, delle sue corti e dello stretto legame con lo Stupor Mundi Read in English Sono sempre stata dell’idea che non sia necessario fare grandi viaggi per definirsi “viaggiatore” o per fare grandi scoperte. Anzi, spesso succede che proprio restando nei pressi di casa ci si stupisca di quello che si incontra.  La vita di tutti i giorni ci fa dimenticare che intorno a noi c’è tanto da scoprire e da imparare e di tanto in tanto è buona cosa avventurarsi con gli occhi di un turista in luoghi che “conosciamo”. Sono passata per  Gioia del Colle  miriadi di volte lungo il tragitto per raggiungere Bari da quando frequentavo l’università fino ad oggi e solo poco tempo fa sono riuscita a visitarla e dare un nome a quei monumenti che vedevo dalla strada. E pensare che dista solo mezz’ora di auto da casa.